‘Would you like a portrait painting of a family member or a landscape painting of your favourite holiday scene?’
I am a Canberra based artist and have been painting since 1985. I am a self-taught artist specialising in drawings and oil paintings of portraits, landscape scenes, animals and flowers.
The early Australian Impressionists, in particular Sir Arthur Streeton have inspired my work. I have painted with the late Reginald Campbell, one of Australia’s greatest artists and ‘Master’ portrait painter and have been strongly influenced by his work.
My website www.rosstownsendgallery.com displays paintings for sale and examples of some of my previous paintings. Please browse through images on my website and contact me should you be interested in purchasing or commissioning a painting.
Some of my achievements are:
- Finalist in the 2019 Gallipoli Prize with a portrait titled ‘Mehmetcik Monument’;
- Finalist in the 2018 Shirley Hannan National Portrait Award with a portrait of Jeanne Townsend;
- Finalist in the 2016 Moran Prize with a portrait of Hannah Townsend;
- Finalist in the 2012 Archibald Prize – Salon Des Refuses Exhibition with a portrait of Louise Doyle (former Director of the National Portrait Gallery);
- Finalist in the 2011 Moran Prize with a portrait of Rugby League champion Laurie Daley;
- Other portraits I have painted include Professor Ian Frazer, Nick Farr-Jones, Professor Frank Bowden, Richard Wilkins, Canberra Catholic Archbishops, Police Commissioners and several other private portrait commissions.